An organizational guidon is a designated detachment marker bearing the Royal Manticoran Marine emblem as displayed on the RMMC beret flash and the designation or abbreviated designation of the unit to which authorized. Organizational guidons are considered optional equipment and as such are not required for units or organizations within the RMMC. Guidons may either be manufactured by the units themselves or purchased.
If a unit has chosen to either create or purchase a guidon then the following rules shall apply;
- An organizational guidon will be carried on all occasions of ceremony in which a unit participates,
- An organizational guidon will be carried at drills, on marches, or other service when prescribed by the commanding officer of the organization.
- An organizational guidon shall not be used in such a manner that it brings discredit upon the Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association, Inc. or any of its subordinate divisions.
RMMC organizational guidons shall be made of green wool bunting upon which insignia, letters, and numbers, as required, of gold wool bunting, shall be sewn on each side. However if wool bunting is not available heavyweight rayon banner cloth may be used. In that case the insignia, letter, and numbers shall be silkscreened on each side so that the guidon may be correctly read from either side. Regardless of the material used the guidon shall measure 1.83 feet on the hoist and 2.33 feet on the fly. A Royal Manticoran Marine Corps emblem as displayed on the RMMC beret flash, consisting of a crossed pulsar rifle and ship overtopped by a the Crown of Manticore, shall be placed in the center of each side of the guidon. The emblem shall measure approximately 10” from the lowest point to the highest point of the group and 10.5” in total width. The letters “RMMC” of single block type 4” high shall be placed centrally above the RMMC emblem offset 1” from the top edge. Letters and numerals will be consistent in size and follow the following rules; 1 number/letter – 6” high, 2-3 numbers/letters – 4 ½” high, 4 or more numbers/letters – 1 ¾” high. Numerals preceding letters will be 4 ½” high. Guidons will always have regimental numbers/letters in the lower left and lower right corners. See figure 1 for an example.
A dress guidon with a 2” gold fringe attached to the edges of an organizational guidon is authorized for each organizational guidon.
Types of Guidons:
There are three types of guidons authorized for use in the RMMC. Each one pertains to a different organizational level of the RMMC.
- Type I: (figure 2) These guidons are for use by MarDets that are attached to various ships. These include echelon sizes of Section, Squad, Rifle Platoon, Heavy Weapons Platoon, Assault Platoon, Rifle Company, Heavy Weapons Company, Assault Company, and Battalion. MarDets of any one of those sizes shall use the same type of guidon. Lettering for this type shall consist of the following;
- The ship name consisting of two lines of 1 ¾” text shall be placed in the lower left hand corner offset 1” from the bottom and left hand edge of the guidon. The top line shall consist of “HMS”, “GSN”, etc…, the lower line shall consist of the ship name. A ship’s name may be abbreviated in order to fit in the space allotted.
- The letters “MD” shall be placed in the lower right hand corner offset 1” from the bottom and the right hand edge of the guidon to designate the unit as a Marine Detachment (MarDet). The letters shall be 4 ½” in height.
- Type II: (figure 3) These guidons are for use by multi-ship MarDets. These include echelon sizes of Regiment, Brigade, Division, and Expeditionary Force. MarDets of any one of those sizes shall use the same type of guidon. Lettering for this type shall consist of the following;
- Letters and numbers denoting the multi-ship unit number and type shall be placed in the lower left hand corner offset 1” from the bottom and left hand edge of the guidon. The multi-ship unit number shall be 4 ½” in height and the unit type letters shall be 1 ¾” in height. The following abbreviations shall be used for unit type: RG – Regiment, BD – Brigade, DV – Division, FC – Expeditionary Force.
- Numbers denoting the sub-unit shall be placed in the lower right hand corner offset 1” from the bottom and right hand edge of the guidon. The numbers shall be 6” in height.
- Type III: (figure 4) These guidons are for use by planetary installations only. For the RMMC these are Planetary Force units. Lettering for this type shall consist of the following;
- The installation name consisting of one or two lines of 1” text shall be placed in the lower left hand corner offset 1” from the bottom and left hand edge of the guidon. An installation’s name may be abbreviated in order to fit in the space allotted.
- The letters “PF” shall be placed in the lower right hand corner offset 1 ½” from the bottom and the right hand edge of the guidon to designate the unit as a Planetary Force. The letters shall be 4 ½” in height.
RMMC guidons may be used with two different staffs; one for drill and the other for ceremonial use. Guidon staffs for use in drill shall be an unadorned one or two-piece light wood pole 8’ in length. Ceremonial guidon staffs shall be either a one or two-piece light wood pole 8’ in length with a brass ferrule and spearhead.
Unit awards may be represented by streamers attached as component parts of the guidon. Streamers are to only be attached to ceremonial guidons and shall be attached immediately below the spearhead of the guidon staff. RMMC units authorized a guidon shall display each unit decoration by a streamer on the guidon staff. Streamers shall be one and three-eighth inch hoist by a two-foot fly for display of unit decorations or awards. Streamers shall be the same colors as the corresponding unit decoration ribbon.
A unit that has been awarded a unit decoration shall be authorized to add the appropriate streamer to their guidon. If a unit receives a particular decoration multiple times, a bronze colored Manticoran star shall be added to the streamer. Once a unit has received five of the same decorations, a silver Manticoran star shall replace the bronze stars. A unit may have both silver and bronze stars on the same streamer at the same time.